Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond provide to families?
- Our most well-known program is our flagship Ronald McDonald House®, where up to 9 families can stay each night while their children receive pediatric patient care in the Richmond region. Families can access warm dinner every night and breakfast on the weekends, laundry, transportation to and from the hospital, and activities.
- For the families of the most critical patients, our five Ronald Rooms are private sleep rooms within hospitals that provide respite for families, footsteps from their child’s bedside.
- Adjacent to our Ronald Rooms at VCU Health, our Ronald McDonald Family Room® offers caregivers a comforting space with access to food, laundry, activities, and more.
- Our Lunches with Love program provides families with access to a nutritious lunch without leaving their hospital unit floor. Lunches are delivered to our Family Room and the NICU at VCU Health, and our Kitchen at St. Mary’s. In addition to lunches, those spaces are stocked with microwaveable meals and snacks to increase food access for families in the hospital.
- Volunteers push our three Hospitality Carts through pediatric units to hand out snacks, toiletries, activities and small comforts to families.
- Families receiving care at Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU are able to utilize the RMHC Sibling Center for hands-on activities and arts and crafts during visits to the hospital.
How does a family stay at the Ronald McDonald House?
- To be eligible to stay, the patient must be 21 years or younger and receiving treatment at a greater Richmond area hospital. Any staff in the hospital unit can send a referral letting us know the family is in need of our services. Check out more information on How to Stay.
How much does it cost to stay at the Ronald McDonald House?
- We suggest a donation of $15 per night but thanks to the support of the Richmond community families are never turned away if they are unable to pay.
What happens if the House is full?
- If the House is full, we are able to put families up in a hotel for two nights and cover the cost. Additionally, through a partnership with Airbnb, RMHC Richmond can place families in Airbnb’s and Airbnb will cover the cost. Check out our Adopt a Room opportunity to sponsor our House program.
What year was the House built? When did it become the Ronald McDonald House?
How do I make a meal at the Ronald McDonald House?
What kind of physical or in-kind donations do you accept?
What events support RMHC Richmond?
How can my group learn more about RMHC Richmond?
How is RMHC Richmond funded?
- RMHC Richmond is funded by individual donors, donor advised funds, corporations and small business, special events, 3rd party events and community fundraisers. Consider making a Donation Online or mail a check made out to RMHC Richmond to 2330 Monument Avenue Richmond, VA 23220. You can also learn more about current sponsorships and Giving Opportunities here.
Why do you accept only the pop tops and not the whole can?
- The pop top is made from a more valuable type of aluminum than the rest of the can. Collecting just the pop top makes storage and transporting much easier as well! Check out more information on our Pop Top Program.
How is RMHC Richmond supported by McDonald’s?
- Local McDonald’s restaurant owners/operators generously support more than 10% of RMHC Richmond’s annual operating budget through sponsorship of our programs and events, and regular in-store promotions. Find out more about our Relationship with McDonald’s, our founding mission partner.
How do I change the details of my recurring donation?
- If you would like to change or cancel your recurring donation, please contact Carolyn Roberts at email@example.com or (804) 355 – 6517