Share a Meal
Sharing a meal with a family in need can make them feel more at home
Our meal volunteers prepare meals for families with a child receiving medical care in local area hospitals. A home-cooked meal can ease the burden families face when caring for a sick child, giving them the strength they need to cope and focus better on their child’s needs.
In order to protect the health and safety of families, staff, and volunteers, we have had to temporarily suspended our volunteer program. Take a look at our Virtual Volunteer Opportunities for alternative ways you can help families now. If you have questions, email Diana at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our How to Help page to see the other ways you can support RMHC Richmond during this time!
For all of our meal opportunities, volunteers purchase the food items and bring them to the Ronald McDonald House to prepare the meal in our kitchen.
- All food must be prepared at the Ronald McDonald House, commercial kitchen, or purchased at a store.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a volunteer over 18. Please keep groups to 10 people or fewer for breakfast or dinner and 6 people or fewer for lunch or cookies.
- For more details, see our Meal Sign Up Info or Check out our meal video!
Breakfast is served every Saturday and Sunday morning. Volunteers arrive between 8:00- 8:30 a.m. to have breakfast by 9:30 a.m.
Lunches with Love
Lunches are made every Sunday and Tuesday- Friday. After volunteers prepare the lunches, our staff delivers lunches to local hospitals. Volunteers arrive at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesdays-Fridays to have lunches ready by 10 a.m., and 11 a.m. on Sundays.
Jane’s Cookie Hour
Cookies or desserts are made every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Cookie volunteers arrive at 1 p.m. to have cookies ready by 2 p.m. Please, no more than 3 dozen cookies.
Dinner is prepared daily for the families at the house. We ask that volunteers arrive between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to have dinner ready by 6 p.m.
Steps to Volunteer
- Complete our Group/Family Interest Form
- Check out our Meal Calendar to find open slots.
- Email our Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement, Diana Villarreal or call 804-355-6517 to reserve a slot.
- Review our Meal Guidelines: Cookie Hour Guidelines (PDF), Lunch Guidelines (PDF), or Meal Guidelines (PDF).