Make a difference in the families who walk through our doors
We have several ways for you to donate your gift of time, and we invite you to find an opportunity that fits you best. Whether it’s volunteering as a group or individually, providing meals for our families or helping at a special event, volunteers help us care for families at their moment of greatest need.
Our individual volunteers are what keep our programs in the house and hospital running smoothly.
- For our individual opportunities, volunteers must be at least 18 years old and willing to commit for at least six months to a year.
- Our individual volunteer opportunities require a background check and training before volunteers are able to begin.
- House Volunteers assist with day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House to keep the House running smoothly and provide a comfortable, clean environment for families with children receiving care in Richmond.
- Duties include answering the phone and door, accepting and organizing donations, resetting and cleaning rooms, performing light housework, and occasionally interacting with families.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once a week. Shifts are available everyday in 3-hour slots between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
Hospital House Warmer
- Volunteers manage the In-Hospital House at CHoR by greeting and assisting families, coordinating laundry, assisting with activities, restocking, and light housekeeping.
- Volunteers ensure that the In-Hospital House provides caregivers with a comforting space for families.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available every day in 3-hour slots between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
RMHC Hospitality Cart
- Hospitality Cart Volunteers push our cart to provide small comforts (toys, games, snacks, and activities) to families in pediatric units who are often spending long days at various hospitals.
- At St. Mary’s, volunteers are expected to commit to at least 2 shifts per month. Shifts are typically 1.5 hours and available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at 6:00 pm and Fridays at 10:30 am.
- At VCU and Johnston Willis, volunteers are expected to commit to the same 1-2 hour shift weekly. Shifts at VCU are daily at 6 pm, and shifts at Johnston Willis are Tuesday/Thursday at 6 pm.
RMHC Sibling Center
- The Sibling Center in the Children’s Pavilion at VCU allows parents to check in the well-sibling so they can focus on the care of the child receiving treatment.
- Volunteers engage the children in the Sibling Center in age-appropriate activities such as playing games, reading books, doing activities, etc. Volunteers also run the Hospitality Cart handing out items to families in the Children’s Pavilion.
- Volunteers are expected to commit to the same 3-hour shift once per week. Shifts are available weekdays from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., 12 p.m. – 3 p.m., and 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.