05 Nov Kerry’s Corner: November 2021
A Message from Executive Director Kerry Blumberg
With the changing of the seasons, cool air arrives, leaves fall from the trees and at Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond, we are blessed with good news to share. A few highlights:
- Our Lunches with Love program has expanded to serve family caregivers on weekends. Until September, the program, begun in 2015, only operated during the week in partner hospitals. Special thanks to the Dominion Energy Foundation as well as the Peachtree House Foundation and the Anne C. and Walter R. Robins Jr. Foundation for providing the financial support to expand the program.
- The Ronald McDonald House on Monument Avenue continues to serve families with safety protocols in place and has welcomed back vaccinated volunteers on a limited basis to cook meals and help with other tasks.
- In September, we raised an event record $405,000 at our outdoor Red Shoe Rendezvous Gala and Golf Tournament at the Dominion Club in Short Pump. In October, the Big Pig Project and United in Recycling events raised more than $55,000! Thanks to all who helped plan and support of these great events, especially Red Shoe Chair Sue Durlak for helping us reach higher.
- Our Holiday Wish List and Amazon Shopping List in support of RMHC Richmond families continues to be popular. Click here to find out how you can support a family with a sick or ill child.
- Miracles happen every day. We recently hosted Kalani Johnson and her family from Lawrenceville, VA at the Ronald McDonald House on Monument Avenue.
Thank you for your part in supporting our mission to keep families close. As we approach the Holidays, I am genuinely thankful for the support that each and every one of you provide.